Saturday, June 8, 2013

Making Friends

Hi, it's Celia again!

We want our baby goats to be very friendly to people. Friendly baby goats grow to be friendly adult goats, and friendly adult goats are easy to handle. I have one adult doe, Brie, who is not friendly. She runs away from me when I get near her. She just doesn't trust people.

There's a couple of ways you can get a kid to be friendly. You can bottle feed it (which is a lot of work) or you can spend time with it and make it think you are part of its herd. So I decided I was going to try to be as goaty as I could, and convince those kids I was one of them. So every day I go out to the goat pen and play with them. Unfortunately playing with baby goats can be very painful. They jump on you.


And even if you put your hood up they try to eat your hair.


And sometimes all three of the babies get you at once and knock you over.


Here we're playing "Leap Goat" which is similar to leap frog, except the goats don't take turns, they just kinda all go at once.


It's a high price to pay to have friendly goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment