Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Dead Beehive

Hi, it's Celia again.

My mom is a beekeeper. I don't know if she's a good one or not, because every year most of her bees die. She says it's because people use pesticides and it weakens the bees, but I'm suspicious. I think she annoys them to death.

This past week we went to our church's farm to remove one of the dead beehives. Mom moved it there last year when she split a strong hive in two. Mom was trying to figure out why this beehive might have died. And of course she wanted to tell me all about it! Here she is showing me the honey that was left in the hive:



And here she is showing me the pollen. Pollen is what they feed the baby bees.



There were no baby bees or eggs, so Mom thinks maybe the queen died. She says it's very hard to tell what happened. She did buy more bees from her bee friend, so hopefully we will have honey again this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment